Monday 16 March 2015

The Film Review (2012)

One of the many adaptions of Charles Dickens novel 'Great Expectations' was a film directed by Mike Newell in 2012. After previously watching older versions of the film I was hesitant as to how different this would be, assuming it would be an exact replica of the work that had previously been created before, however I was very wrong.
First of all the general attention to detail and accuracy in the film, I feel, was done extremely well. The costumes, makeup and settings found throughout the film were accurate to those described in the book but at the same time unique from other versions of the film. The various surroundings that Pip entered into (i.e. the graveyard, Mrs. Havisham house etc.) all had an eerie but captivating feel to them, leaving me worried for Pip that the scary world around him could see him hurt.
I felt that all the characters in the film were played perfectly and were a great justice to the excellent work of Mr. Dickens, however my favorite character in this recreation had to be that of Mrs. Havisham.
Helena Bonham Carter’s interpretation of the wild widow was truly captivating and left me in awe that an actress could lead me to believe the character she was playing was so real and that I could be manipulated into feeling genuine emotions of sadness, panic and sympathy for the role she was playing.
Overall I believe that Newell’s production of the famous novel brought a fresh and distinctive new interpretation, bringing an old classic to a very real modern day reality. Out of all the recreations I have seen, this has to be my favourite.

No comments:

Post a Comment